Thursday, November 19, 2009

WP3: Pre Write 2

For our third and final writing project this semester, we are now analyzing a sculpture rather than a picture or a comic. We are using sculptures located around Sheldon Art Gallery on the UNL campus. All of the sculptures are located outside the building in various areas. My particular sculpture is titled Arch Falls and it was sculpted by Bryan Hunt in 1980. Bryan Hunt is known for sculpting "waterfalls that convey effects of rippling, fluid surfaces in solid bronze." (Sheldon website)

Sculptures are a bit different to analyze then the other art objects we had previously studied. Most aren't in color so that takes away the discrepancy of the hue and brightness and saturation we could talk about when analyzing a photo. But similarly to our other projects, I first took time to just write down my first thoughts when looking at this particular sculpture. After this post, I will do some historical research on the piece and hopefully be able to figure out more of an argument for this sculpture.

After only hearing the title at first, I assumed it was some sort of waterfall, which I found out it was. When I got to Sheldon, I knew which sculpture was mine because I had looked it up online. I don't think I would have been able to look at it without knowing the title and be sure right away that it was representing a water fall. I was able to tell it was some sort of stone substance. To me it appeared to be a section of a water fall from the front view and an even skinnier section from the side view. I felt that it looked like water because of how the creator used their fingers possibly to work through the substance to form it. I don't quite understand why there's a slit of openness in the bigger chunk, it could just be a movement of the water. Also I'm not sure on why there is the separation between the big chunk and little chunk.

I don't feel like this sculpture really gives off an emotion, but maybe after knowing more of the meaning of it, it will make more sense. I think the sculpture is in the right sort of context that it is outside. That helps portray the fact that it is a waterfall. The visual hierarchy is the bigger piece of the waterfall because of its size. It stands out more. The color is the dark "sculpture" color. I feel like a lot of sculptures are this color. It is like a mix of black, brown, and gray. The bottom part of the sculpture gets clumpy, which I see it as the bottom of a water fall, like the rocks. When thinking back to the title, I'm not so sure on what the arch is referring to. The only thing I can think of is the formation of the start of a waterfall how it is kind of in an arch. The arrangement is made by the hole and the separation. The only sort of argument I've thought of thus far is that it can kinda be like a freedom of falling? Or a free falling?

No comments:

Post a Comment